LIP Invest acquires logistics center in Obernburg (DE)

LIP Invest acquires logistics center in Obernburg (DE)

LIP Invest is acquiring the recently completed mega logistics centre in the Bavarian town of Obernburg, Erlenbacherstrasse. With an investment volume of around €100m, the off-market deal is one of the three largest transactions in the first half of the German logistics property market. The owner and seller of the new building is the main site Logistik Nord, which in future will also use three hall sections of the logistics centre with around 30,000m² as a tenant to handle its logistical activities. The main site is operated by the Industrie Center Obernburg (ICO). The industrial park directly opposite the logistics centre is Europe's largest man-made fibre location with an area of 176 hectares and 3,000 employees. Other tenants are syncreon and Geis Global Logistics. A hall section of 10,000m², as well as a hall with 2,400m² for the storage of dangerous goods, are still available to logistics companies for rent at short notice.


The new logistics complex in Obernburg comprises around 70,500m² of hall space and on a mezzanine level around 6,500m² of office, social and shelf storage space. The logistics halls offer space for over 200,000 shelved units. The eight hall sections have a total of 76 loading gates with folding wedge bridges for variable vehicle loading and unloading. 25,000m² of paved outdoor areas serve as storage and shunting areas, and there are also sufficient parking spaces on the property with 19 truck and 136 parking spaces. The hall height is 10.60 meters while the hall floor is designed for a payload of seven tons per square meter.


In addition to a comprehensive security system with access control and barrier systems, the plant is supervised in terms of security by the plant security on the main site and by the ICO plant fire brigade. The green roof, which consists of a 10-centimetre thick substrate covering, has both sandy and stony areas and depicts the natural biodiversity of plants and soil types in accordance with the climatic conditions on the lower main. Piles of dead wood piled up offer insects and birds new habitats and the possibility of settlement. The additional construction costs are offset by at least 30% longer durability of the roof skin. In addition, there are considerable environmental effects and savings in operating costs.


“On hot days, the microbiotope on the roof of the hall acts like a heat shield and on cold days it offers additional thermal insulation. In addition, the roof serves as a rain retention area, which means that around 60% of the precipitation is stored in the substrate layer and the remaining 40% seeps away in an additional drainage system,” said Alexander Eisfeld, Head of Technical Asset Management at LIP.


The logistics centre is located on the Bavarian side of the Frankfurt/Rhein-Main economic region, around 20 kilometres south of Aschaffenburg and around 50 kilometres from the gates of Frankfurt. Frankfurt Airport can be reached in just 40 minutes via a four-lane motorway feeder on the A3. The location is connected trimodally via a train station with an industrial siding and a shipping pier on the Main and is therefore particularly suitable for regional and international distribution in addition to regional.


"With the current purchase and four other properties in the purchase process, our LIP Logistics Fund Germany II, launched in 2019, is currently investing around €425m, significantly faster than we had expected. Despite limited travel options, we were able to secure attractive new buildings even during the Corona crisis,” said Bodo Hollung, partner and managing director at LIP Invest, about the positive development of recent years. "Our recently launched LIP Logistikfonds Deutschland III also started successfully with the first commitments and acquisitions." 

Related News