On july 19, the italian Association of Real Estate Ladies (AREL) was founded in Milan. The aim of AREL is to encourage women to work in the real estate industry, to exchange experiences and innovation, to support the real estate educational system, and to encourage and assist the young professionals in their career.
The Committee of Founder Members was made up of 60 well-known professionals, acting in all the fields of the industry (development, investment, asset management, property management, facility management, counselling- legal-fiscal, real estate finance, education, communication, etc.), and in all the Country.
The majority of them are based - for time being - in Milan, the italian capital of the real estate industry.
Barbara Polito, Director, The Carlyle Group - Europe Real Estate
The Board of Directors is as follows :
- President: Barbara Polito, Director, The Carlyle Group - Europe Real Estate,
- Segretary General: Laura Piantanida, MD, Reddy's Group,
- Vicepresident: Rita Fiori,Secretary General of the Italian Council of Shopping Centres (Consiglio Nazionale dei Centri Commerciali),
- Treasurer: Paola G. Lunghini, Editor in Chief and Publisher of Economia Immobiliare, by Internews,
- Directors at Large: Benedetta Amisano, Carnelutti Law Firm; Mirja Cartìa D'Asero, Lehman Brothers; Natascha Jeuck, Iemme Europa; Alexandra Lopes, ProLogis; Patrizia Ludi, ITP; Marzia Morena, Polytechnic of Milan, Dipartiment BEST; Daniela Percoco, Nomisma;Paola Ricciardi, REAG.
Within a few days' time, the Committee (all the Ladies joining AREL by the end of August will be qualified as Founder Members), has reached the number of 110.
AREL's Members are managers / partners /principal in midddle-large companies : amongs them IPI, Risanamento (Zunino Group), Pirelli RE, Gabetti, Jones Lang LaSalle, Atisreal, Cushman&Wakefield, CB Richard Ellis, Savills, Europa Risorse, Gruppo Galotti, Gruppo Statuto, Caam sgr, Beni Stabili Gestioni sgr, BNL Fondi Immobiliari sgr, Investire immobiliare sgr, Darma sgr, Polis Fondi sgr, UBS Real Estate, Clifford Chance, Delli Santi& Partners, DLA Piper,The Royal Bank of Scotland, Mediobanca, IXIS-CIB, Bocconi University, etc.
In terms of education, 98% of the Members has got a University degree and many attended master courses in Italy and abroad. More than 40 are architects, 15 are Lawyers, and several are RICS Fellows. The average age is 35-40.
"There was a real need, in the Country, for an association as AREL", commented Barbara Polito. "All the matter took shape within a few days' time, and many other Ladies are asking to join. The real estate industry - always considered as one of the most ancient sector of the economy - is growing fast, and women undoubtly want to be protagonist of this challange."