intu has been granted a go-ahead for its flagship global resort development intu Costa del Sol, located in Torremolinos outside Malaga in Spain. The project, which will see preparatory works start in 2020, will be an entirely new type of global resort and span a total of 2.5 million ft². The scheme will feature a completely new approach to zoning by introducing a set of distinct, vibrant neighbourhoods, each designed to deliver a unique experience for visitors.
The project will comprise eight neighbourhoods including:
- The Lake – providing fun for everyone at any time;
- The Arena – setting the stage for the most highly anticipated performances from up-and-coming artists to world-famous megastars;
- The Hills – offering dining at the very highest level;
- The Hood – set to be a hive of creative energy;
- The Boulevard – where international brands meet Mediterranean flair;
- Wonderland – a themed world of delight especially geared towards children;
- The Gallery – offering an entire day out shopping in style;
and Central Park – at the heart of the whole development.
Across the resort, intu Costa del Sol will include a total of 142,000m² of retail space, 20+ leisure operators, 70+ restaurants, two hotels, a 5,000-person concert venue and Spain’s largest urban farm. It is set to open in 2023.
Martin Breeden, development director for intu, commented: “Designed to be a resort-like no other, intu Costa del Sol is breaking the mould across many aspects. These neighbourhoods will be instrumental in ensuring the resort has something for everyone, allowing each and every visitor to have a unique experience and create memories for life.”
Ian Sandford, project director for intu Costa del Sol and president of intu’s JV partner Eurofund commented: “What sets intu Costa del Sol apart is our approach, rooted in an ethos born from the need for a refreshing new way of thinking. The neighbourhood approach is a vital part of this, and one that we believe will truly make the project stand out on the world stage.”