Erick van Egeraat has been awarded the first prize in the closed international design competition for VTB Arena Park in Moscow on the initiative of the VTB Bank. The 300,000-m2 VTB Arena Park is one of the largest projects that will be developed in the Russian Federation in the coming years. VTB Bank will provide an investment of approx. 500 million for the development of this large-scale project.
Erick van Egeraat and his Russian partner Mikhail Posokhin (Mosproekt-2) selected a team of Russian and internationally acclaimed consultants for this competition, including Bollinger + Grohmann structural engineers, Amsterdam ArenA Advisory, Artec Acoustic consultants and Illuminator lighting consultants. Erick van Egeraat's design was chosen out of five international competitors, including NPS Tchoban Voss with gmp von Gerkan Marg und Partner, STD development with Interstudio, ABD with Perkins Eastman International, and Mosproekt 4 with Populous.
The final jury sitting was held on Monday 28 June 2010. The jury, consisting of international specialists and chaired by Yuri Luzhkov, Mayor of Moscow, Andrei Kostin, VTB Chairman and Alexander Avdeev, Minister of Culture of the Russian Federation, was unanimous in selecting Erick van Egeraat's design. The jury especially praised the design for its 'all-under-one-roof' concept, providing a multifunctional mix of sports and cultural facilities all concentrated in and underneath the current stadium perimeter.
Other key characteristics of the winning proposal are:
- historic preservation: the two stadiums will be situated within the ring of the old stadium, preserving the perimeter façade of the existing arena and integrating it functionally and esthetically into the new proposal
- self sustaining business model: to be financially self sustaining VTB Arena Park will also host cultural and retail facilities. The mix of sports, culture and retail facilities creates profitable and vibrant activities 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year
- park preservation and enlargement: VTB Arena allows the existing park to be completely preserved as a public, green area. Parking facilities will be included underground, and horeca and sports training facilities will be included above ground, with the park continuing over the roof of these functions.
- full FIFA compliance soccer stadium: the complex is designed in full compliance with the FIFA regulations, allowing the stadium to play a significant role in Russia's ambitions to host the 2018 FIFA world cup.
- transferium: the combination o