EDF Group, one of the world's leading energy companies which manages an international property portfolio of over 3000 buildings, has become the latest Founder Member to join the International Sustainability Alliance (ISA). ISA is the new organization dedicated to leading the way to a sustainable built environment through the collection and analysis of real data and the application of quality science, architecture and engineering.
Nathalie Charles, Real Estate Manager of EDF Group, said, "As well as helping our customers enhance their energy performance, we have an ambitious program for our own buildings. The International Sustainability Alliance will promote our engagement in helping to create a more sustainable world and demonstrate that we are committed to applying to ourselves what we are recommending to others. ISA will give us a unified reporting mechanism for the benchmarking of our own buildings and provide a fantastic opportunity to network with other large organizations who have similar priorities."
Paul Gibbon, Sustainability Director of BRE Global, said, "The International Sustainability Alliance is dedicated to enabling the property industry to meet and exceed its environmental improvement targets, driving global carbon reduction commitments and providing the link between environmental and financial performance of real estate."
ISA now has over 20 Founder Members and is focusing on:
- measuring the environmental performance of buildings and the economic impact and added value of a corporate sustainability strategy (data from over 2,600 buildings across 29 different countries is already being collated)
- encouraging consistency of metrics and reporting
- providing world class, secure, internet-based tools to collect, benchmark and intelligently report on building data
- accelerating progress through independent research, measurement and evaluation of economics and new innovations, technologies, processes and techniques
- ensuring that consistent, transparent sustainability standards achieve maximum reach, continue to grow in scope and advance in value as new knowledge is gained
The first Founder Member meeting is to be held in Brussels in April, which will set the future direction for this highly influential group.