The Madrid office of Hines, the international real estate firm, has announced that Zielo Shopping Pozuelo has received Gold certification under the US Green Building Council's LEED® for Core & Shell (CS) rating system. The property is the first shopping center in Europe to attain this designation. It was originally pre-certified to the Silver level.
He continued, "Zielo has been attracting new tenants and customers with an innovative marketing plan that incorporates activities linking community members to the center."
Designed by Alberto Martín Caballero, the three-level, approx. 16,000-m² retail center, which opened in October 2009, houses more than 60 shops and restaurants. The property features a large central atrium, which is flooded with natural light, and rooftop terraces with impressive views of the Casa de Campo and the Madrid skyline.
Other sustainable features include:
· 726 photovoltaic panels, generating 174,24 kilowatt-peak units, doubling the amount required by the Spanish law
· Purchase of 100% green power
· Water use reduction through installation of low-flow fixtures
· Outdoor air delivery monitoring
· No use of harmful CFC refrigerants
· 91% construction waste diverted from landfills
· Parking spaces for bicycles and low-emitting vehicles
The roster of prestigious national and international tenants includes: Adela Gil; Bimba & Lola; Blanco; Colección Hogar; Flamenco; H&M; Hackett; Hazel; Le Creuset; Lester; Mango; Musgo; Pórtico; Purificación García; Roberto Verino; Supermercados Sánchez Romero; Trucco; and Yusty.